Monday, January 3, 2011

Safely Home by Randy Alcorn (Review)


Safely Home is a, no doubt, very powerful book. It is a major wake up call for those unaware of the persecution of China's past. Personally it delivered a call to pray. Not knowing anyone living in a persecuted nation or understanding much that goes on, it can be very difficult to pray. Whether it be from lack of motivation or ignorance, their seems to be a barrier of passionate prayer for our brothers and sisters. Alcorn does a wonderful job of giving a face to those suffering. He brought awareness to the struggles they undergo, majorly being the thirst for the word of God. In a country where Bibles are easily attained and there are at least 15 in my house alone I rarely imagine not having access, yet I have begun to cherish it for the magnificence of what it is. Now comprehending it's importance as well as it's low supply in Nation's such as Communist China I feel joyfully obligated to participate in the spread of shengjing (Bible in Chinese). I searched for ways to help at persecution.org and I found one in which you send money for the purchasing of Bibles which in turn are smuggled to the Church under Persecution. The link is posted below for those interested. The major theme Alcorn proposes, "True Gold fears no fire" has stuck rather strongly in my conscience. Oddly enough it has brought me to a point where I can hopefully a pray for this fire upon the Church in America. With such a sea of nominalism it seems trial for the people of God could mean refreshment and revival. Luke warm believers will not stand firm in the midst of bold persecution, only "True Gold" remains. For anyone interested in a very enjoyable read, yet one that proposes a challenge, I highly recommend this book. Alcorn also uses his research on Heaven in a very entertaining way as well as his knowledge of Hell in a terrifying vision.. For those who read it, let me know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment